[Spambayes] Have you ever....?

T. Alexander Popiel popiel@wolfskeep.com
Fri, 27 Sep 2002 20:46:09 -0700

In message:  <v03110701b9bac4a92623@[192.168.0.2]>
             John Draper <crunch@shopip.com> writes:

>Ever notice the random set of characters at the end of most spam
>messages these days?    Does anyone know what they are for?
>Perhaps these characters might be of use.   Are they some sort of
>checksum or signature?

As far as I can tell, these are tags to indicate which email
address is the hit when people respond to spam.  In my single
source collection, there are a handful of these 'words' which
have appeared many times... so my best guess is that there
are a handful of spam-blast software packages that compute
these codes reproducably based on the email address.

So... just another tracking method, to help the spammers
identify live addresses, even if you've taken steps to
disguise yourself when replying.

- Alex