[Spambayes] Re: Practical Applications

Anthony Baxter anthony@interlink.com.au
Tue, 24 Sep 2002 10:47:26 +1000

>>> Gary Robinson wrote
> Suppose I wanted to build a practical application on spambayes that
> integrated with Outlook but it just couldn't be done as elegantly with
> separate Python code communicating with Outlook via COM.
>
> Would the open source license spambayes is using allow me to translate
> spambayes into Visual Basic for Applications?????

I'd suggest an alternate approach -
- for the inbound, something like pop3proxy.py, but it should also
keep a copy of (some/all) messages as 'ham' samples.

- for marking as spam, a small application (maybe in VBA) that
copies the current message into a magic location on disk.

The classifier should pick up the (some/all) ham, and also the marked
spam. First off, remove any of the spam from the new ham samples
(message-id, or whatever), then load the data up into the classifier.

If you wanted to be extra-clever, you might try something like
"expiring" trained data after 3 months - on the grounds that your
mail reading habits (and the spammer's habits) will have adapted/
changed.

Random thoughts before the first coffee.

Anthony