[Spambayes] Advantages of S?

Gary Robinson grobinson@transpose.com
Thu, 19 Sep 2002 10:35:04 -0400

At present, it appears that S may perform better than relatively untweaked
graham (as I guess bogofilter is using), but about the same as tweaked
graham as spambayes is using, but has the advantage of showing a spread of
results.

As I see it there are two possible advantages to the spread:

1) emails in the middle could be classified as "you should manually check
these", or

2) the user could adjust for the level of sensitivity he wants (similar to
what happens now in Entourage which is otherwise brain-dead as a spam
filter).

(1) is a attractive but one thing worries me: it may give people a false
sense of security -- they may think they only have to look at the middle
ones, but occasionally even extreme cases of seeming to be spam might be
legit. On the other hand, on those rare occasions, the sender can always try
again if he doesn't get a response! ;)

Just a couple of thoughts.

--Gary

--