[Spambayes] Email client integration -- what's needed?

Tim@mail.powweb.com Tim@mail.powweb.com
Fri Nov 1 02:40:27 2002

The latest figures that I can find from Microsoft are that Outlook has 57% market share, Notes has 29%, Browser based email is 9%, and the rest is split
between cc:Mail, GroupWise, Outlook Express, the Exchange client, and 2% of "Other."  So Outlook is certainly the low hanging fruit here, but Notes is a big
client as well.  The Notes market will be a bit more difficult to reach, because as a product it is even more closed than Outlook... (imagine that...)  But I think
that Notes users comprise a good sized segment, and I don't believe that there are any effective filters for that product.  That said, a POP3 proxy won't work
for Notes, because Notes servers are not POP3... it's a replication scheme.  So there may not be any hope for the Notes thing.  So, I think we should do a
nice integration with Outlook (which it seems as though Mark has already handled), and Outlook Express if possible, do a Pop3proxy that can be used in
most other circumstances, and leave the special cases to those who are interested enough to do whatever integration they wish...

That documentation effort should be enough to keep Robin busy for a while... ;)

- Tim

10/31/2002 7:29:14 PM, Skip Montanaro <skip@pobox.com> wrote:

>    Alex> I guess that raises the question: what is our target audience, and
>    Alex> how strictly do we want to cater to them?
>
>On a sheer numbers basis, your target audience is definitely Outlook and
>Outlook Express users.  The rest of it is just noise.  Mark Hammond seems to
>have taken good care of the Outlook users.
>
>Skip

- Tim
www.fourstonesExpressions.com