[Spambayes] Terminology in user documentation: "spam" vs. "junk mail"

G. Armour Van Horn vanhorn@whidbey.com
Fri Nov 1 01:20:58 2002

I think Spam and Ham will be perfectly clear to the users I support. They may be
realtors, but they aren't braindead, and a little humor helps in teaching.

Van

Robin Munn wrote:

> When we start writing user documentation, I propose using the term "junk
> mail" instead of "spam" and "non-junk mail" (or some other term) instead
> of "ham". I believe this will reduce confusion among non-techies who are
> encountering spam terminology for the first time. They'll have enough
> new ideas to learn trying to install and run a filter, let's not add
> jargon to what they have to learn.
>
> Other possibilities:
>
> "junk email" instead of "spam"
> "valid email" instead of "ham"
>
> "unwanted email" instead of "spam"
> "wanted email" instead of "ham"
>
> [Insert your clever idea here]
>
> Comments, anyone?
>
> --
> Robin Munn <rmunn@pobox.com>
> http://www.rmunn.com/
> PGP key ID: 0x6AFB6838    50FF 2478 CFFB 081A 8338  54F7 845D ACFD 6AFB 6838

Sign up now for Quotes of the Day, a handful of quotations
on a theme delivered every morning.
Enlightenment! Daily, for free!
mailto:twisted@whidbey.com?subject=Subscribe_QOTD

For web hosting and maintenance,