[Spambayes] Two Stage Plan

Gary Robinson grobinson at transpose.com
Wed Dec 18 16:51:38 EST 2002

OK, but MOST of those expenses go away in the
MS-monopoly-it-goes-along-with-your-software-rental fees, as far as I can
tell, right?

1. Account setup has already happened.

2. There is very little storage per $.01 transaction of an already
registered user. It coule probably be done in, oh, 20 bytes, including
timestamp. yes there is some overhead to carry out the updates, but as an
experienced database guy, I don't think it's going to be too significant for
this application.

3. Your correct about the latency being relaxed for emails. i don't think it
will add significantly to the cost to get an acceptible latency

4. Billing costs. The only billing cost is in loading the account, say, once
per year, and it would probably be part of an overall software subscription
bill that MS would be sending out anyway, if MS is the vendor.  It would be
negligible comparitively. remember that $1 would actually pay for MANY
transactions because the $.01 is being shifted between user accounts all the
time and is reused by the recipient.

5. Authentication. Again only done in the loading of the account, and
depending on whether it's part of a larger software rental package, may be
being done anyway.6

6. Retrieval costs -- outside audits. I think this probably goes away too
for the reasons above but you'd have to spell it out more for me to be sure.

7. Security, etc. Already covered in the MS case for their subscribers.

For a non-MS company to do it, NOT as part of an overall software rental
plan, the expense will be more. But I don't see that it's going to be
remotely $.05 per email, because there is only one "hard" transaction (where
money is actually moved by credit card) per year usually, to fill the
accounts so that they can shift $.01 back and forth by means of very simple
"soft" database transactions (again I'm quite experienced in database stuff,
not only from designing large systems for the phone company, but because of
personally designing and running an online service where people paid by the
minute).

--Gary

--
Help your email get through while making life harder for spammers: use
http://wecanstopspam.org in your sig.

Gary Robinson
CEO
Transpose, LLC