[spambayes-dev] Broken reference to oe_mailbox?

David Abrahams dave at boostpro.com
Sun Jan 25 16:34:44 CET 2009

on Sun Jan 25 2009, skip-AT-pobox.com wrote:

>     Dave> I'm very grateful for everything that the SpamBayes project has
>     Dave> done for me, but finding these two things today does make me
>     Dave> wonder whether the procedure for checkins and/or testing could be
>     Dave> improved.
>
> At this point SpamBayes is a fairly large collection of separate
> applications.  Most people use just one, the Outlook plugin.  Almost nobody
> uses more than one.  Writing test cases to properly test the POP3 proxy,
> IMAP filter and the Notes filter (should that simply be deleted?) would
> require a fair amount of scaffolding.  At minimum you'd need stub
> implementations of the various kinds of protocol servers.

You could always test them with real servers.  It's imperfect but
workable.

> The core classifier should be fairly well-tested by the daily use it
> gets.

Except that the %x bug somehow got loose.

> It was easier to assume that bugs got squashed quickly when there were
> several active developers who could operate from the Subversion
> repository.  With basically just me as the lone person making any code
> changes and running from Subversion there is much less likelihood of
> flushing out dumb bugs.

If I'd had commit access I'd have been able to nail those two.  Probably
wouldn't have stopped me from posting as well, though. :-)

My SF userid is david_abrahams, should you decide to add me.  I can
think of one other person who might also be willing to help.

> That said, I agree that SpamBayes needs some formal test framework.

Well, you could start by just trying to load all the modules ;-)

--
Dave Abrahams
BoostPro Computing