[spambayes-dev] [Spambayes] FW: =Spambayes= PLEASE REPLY TO THIS EMAIL _ IT I S VERYIMPORTANT

Amedee Van Gasse amedee at amedee.be
Mon Jun 30 16:05:57 CEST 2008

On Mon, June 30, 2008 15:21, OConchubhair, Andoni wrote:
> Is it impossible to implement a link on this page? It need not pop-up?
>
> Is it impossible to implement a check-box that must be ticket in order to
> click the "Subscribe" button?
>
> If these are impossible then that ends the discussion as far as I am
> concerned.
>
> Mark: I think that text will be helpful. Anything that will help a few
> more
> users to notice this situation will be good. That said, I think we all
> know
> that users often don't ready any of what is written, which is why they are
> often forced to click tick-boxes etc. to show they have read T&Cs.

I can answer these questions because I have run the mailman mailinglist
software myself on my own server. (Spambayes uses the mailman
infrastructure provided by python.org, the Spambayes project does not
administer or own the mailing list software)

Changing Mailman, provided by python.org: forget it. Stick to plain text
that can be filled in the templates provided by Mailman.

When someone subscribes, they are not immediatly subscribed. They get 2
emails before they can send email to the list.

EMAIL1:

Mailing list subscription confirmation notice for mailing list
spambayes

We have received a request from IP_ADDRESS for subscription of
your email address, EMAIL_ADDRESS, to the
spambayes at python.org mailing list.  To confirm that you want to be
added to this mailing list, simply reply to this message, keeping the
Subject: header intact.  Or visit this web page:

    http://mail.python.org/mailman/confirm/spambayes/LONG_CODE

Or include the following line -- and only the following line -- in a
message to spambayes-request at python.org:

    confirm LONG_CODE

Note that simply sending a `reply' to this message should work from
most mail readers, since that usually leaves the Subject: line in the
right form (additional "Re:" text in the Subject: is okay).

If you do not wish to be subscribed to this list, please simply
disregard this message.  If you think you are being maliciously
subscribed to the list, or have any other questions, send them to
spambayes-owner at python.org.

EMAIL2:

  spambayes at python.org

subscription page at:

  http://mail.python.org/mailman/options/spambayes/EMAIL_ADDRESS

  spambayes-request at python.org

You must know your password to change your options (including changing
the password, itself) or to unsubscribe.  It is:

  PASSWORD,

Normally, Mailman will remind you of your python.org mailing list
passwords once every month, although you can disable this if you
prefer.  This reminder will also include instructions on how to
unsubscribe or change your account options.  There is also a button on
your options page that will email your current password to you.

Mark just mailed that he modified the second mail. That's as far as you
can jump inside the Mailman software. Mailman isn't a Web Two Point Oh
social networking site with Ajax-enabled buzzword compliant widgets. It's
mature software, meaning that it has proven its worth over the years.
Don't try to fix what isn't broken.

--
Amedee