[spambayes-dev] How about a 1.1a3 release?

Mark Hammond mhammond at skippinet.com.au
Tue Aug 22 23:51:05 CEST 2006

Skip writes:
> Feel free to turn the crank.  I agree that trying a build on
> a more recent version of Outlook would be a good idea.  For testing
> purposes that probably
> opens up the pool of potential release builders a bit.

I currently *only* have Office2k installed.  Thus, it is not possible for me
to build a version that depends on a later version.

The next time someone without Office2k installed wants to build a new
version, they should just try and do so, patching the code where necessary.
This would include 'addin.py', with the lines starting:

gencache.EnsureModule('{00062FFF-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}', 0, 9, 0,
                        bForDemand=True, bValidateFile=bValidateGencache) #
Outlook 9

The existing code should be kept in place, but wrapped with an exception
handler that 'falls back' to the newer version.

This code should probably be cloned into setup_all.py, and depending on
success or failure, change the 'typelibs' option passed to py2exe,
reflecting what is known to be installed.  I'd suggest that this print a
fairly noisy warning so the packager is aware the built version will not
work on Office 2k.

On a more general note though, I think it is fairly clear that for all
official releases, Office2k remain supported for a few years yet - when a
few people on the -dev list still use Office2k, I would guess that many more
users also do.

I can't make the changes I recommend above as I don't have OfficeXP
installed - but if someone else makes the change so it works for them, I'd
be happy to repair any unintended breakage on Office2k systems.

Mark