[spambayes-dev] 1.1a1: Lost IMAP INBOX during testing

Neil Brooks N.F.Brooks at exeter.ac.uk
Fri May 13 16:00:00 CEST 2005

Hi,

I installed 1.a1 over the top of 1.0.3 from the source zip. After getting
the working version of Version.py from the CVS, I was able to start
Spambayes using my old cmd file that contains:
python sb_imapfilter.py -c -t -v -l 10 -e y -P
After running through the training folders and my INBOX to classify
messages, it stopped with the error "cannot EXPUNGE in AUTH mode" (or
something similar).

At this point, my INBOX may have got partially deleted. But it may have
happened after I re-ran Spambayes and got the message "The command 'Cannot
find saved message' failed to give an OK response."

Sorry to be a bit vague but I didn't notice the loss of 3000 messages until
the next day. (They hadn't been moved to the unsure or spam folder; I
recovered them from a backup so no big deal). I can't identify any changes
to my normal usage of spambayes and my e-mail client (Mulberry). My client
may have checked for new mail when the spambayes scan was being run but
this would have happened in the past with 1.0.3.

This is the 1st time I have had such a failure and it is worrying that
someone less experienced than myself could get caught out naively running
alpha software.

Once I've made a copy of my INBOX, I may do some more testing!

Neil
--
Neil Brooks
Small Systems Team Leader