[spambayes-dev] sb_imapfilter or imaplib - another crash on bad date

Meyer, Tony T.A.Meyer at massey.ac.nz
Thu Jul 14 03:07:11 CEST 2005

(Please excuse the HTML mail; working from a crappy webmail system)

> I've had some imapfilter crashes related to bad dates.  From what I can
> found it resembles of [890645], but appears when saving (appending) the
> mail.
>
> I'm not sure whatever this should be considered a bug or not, or where
> it's best fixed (in imaplib or spambayes)...

If it really does seem like a bug with imaplib, then that should definitely be reported (open a bug tracker on <http://sf.net/projects/python <http://sf.net/projects/python> >) - I recall that we did come across one back when first writing imapfilter, although I don't recall what it was offhand.

However, even in that case, we still really want to patch SpamBayes to handle it as well, for two reasons.  The first is that (hopefully <0.5 wink>) the Python release cycle is slower that the SpamBayes release cycle.  It's likely that a new SpamBayes release (e.g. 1.1a2) will come out before the next Python release (I think 2.3 is done, so that would be 2.4.2, or 2.5).  The other reason is that we aim to have SpamBayes work for any versions of Python greater than or equal to 2.2; it's nice not to have to force people to have the most recent versions of something.

[...]
> Should I report this as a bug (including the suggested fix), or can I
> just post it here and some "real" developer will catch it?

The first thing to do, if possible, would be to check whether this has already been fixed in CVS.  I know that Sjoerd has checked in some imapfilter fixes to do with dates recently, but I don't recall what they were offhand, and don't have easy access to check right now.

The easiest way to check is to use SF's ViewCVS (the "CVS" and then "View Reposity" links on <http://sf.net/projects/spambayes <http://sf.net/projects/spambayes> >) to look at sb_imapfilter.py.

If the problem is already fixed in CVS, then you don't need to do anything.  If it's not then ideally either a bug report or patch tracker (link above) for SpamBayes.  If it's a bug and you set it to "imapfilter", then it will automatically assign it to me (anadelonbrin) and I'll get to it at some point.  Having a patch, rather than just a bug report drastically reduces the amount of time it'll take for me to deal with it.

However, reporting it here also stands a reasonable chance of it being noticed and fixed (it probably increases the time, since I'm more likely to review what's waiting for me on the tracker than review spambayes-dev emails that I haven't got to yet).

Thanks for the email and the patch (even if the fix is already in CVS) - greatly appreciated!  (People to work on imapfilter are particularly thin on the ground).

=Tony.Meyer