[spambayes-dev] 1.0 Build Testing (please!)

Tony Meyer tameyer at ihug.co.nz
Thu Sep 30 04:17:14 CEST 2004

> Looking at OE6, the filter conditions are:

> cc:
> To: or cc:
> Subject:
> body
> priority
> size
> attachment
> secure
>

> The filter actions are similarly anemic:
>
> delete
> highlight w/color
> flag
> mark for download

And also (with the OE6 I have, at least):

Move
Copy
Reply with message
Stop processing more rules
Do not download
Delete from server

Most people will just want Move (and maybe "stop processing"), I suspect.  I
don't see how we could use: secure, attachment, size, or priority (unless we
stole priority for only our own uses), and body is ugly, so that does leave
us with subject or addresses.

> If you  want that, the .invalid TLD is reserved in the
> RFC's as, well, invalid.  I'm not sure exactly what it
> buys you,

It would be nice (in this context at least) if OE recognised it and offered
(with a "do not ask me again" box) to ignore the address.  Sadly, you appear
to just get a regular bounce from the mailer (well, my mailer, anyway).

> but classification at spambayes.invalid is by definition
> not resolvable.

I think this would be a reasonable method of notating the To: header.  Given
that Subject: and To: aren't (so we find) identical already, and treating
them identically doesn't make much sense, this seems a reasonable solution.

Anyone mind if I change (for 1.1) notate_to to do exactly this?

=Tony Meyer