[spambayes-dev] cant live without xmlrpcserver

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Wed Mar 24 21:02:58 EST 2004

>From: Toby Dickenson <tdickenson at geminidataloggers.com>
>Subject: Re: [spambayes-dev] cant live without xmlrpcserver
>
>On Wednesday 24 March 2004 14:28, Skip Montanaro wrote:
> > I think you'd still take a startup overhead hit if you didn't code your
> > sb_filter proxy in C.
>
>True. Ive just measured 778ms to classify a mail using sb_filter, against
>234ms using sb_client. Thats a modest saving.
>
>If I stop the server and rerun sb_client it predictably terminates with a
>'Connection refused'. Getting that far takes 219ms; I guess most of that
>could be saved using C and a lighter protocol than xmlrpc.

Have you considered ReadyExec?

http://readyexec.sourceforge.net/

It's a C client and a Python library for running more-or-less arbitrary
Python programs as daemons, using Unix-domain sockets.  It doesn't
automatically start the daemon, but you might be able to add
that.  Meanwhile, the C client is extremely small and should be quite
fast.  The "protocol" is also simple and fast: stdin/stdout/stderr are
handed to the daemon directly via OS-level file descriptor transfers, and
only the command line arguments and environment are pumped over the socket,
as netstrings.