[spambayes-dev] Re: unicode error in sb_dbexpimp.py

Skip Montanaro skip at pobox.com
Tue Mar 9 23:40:40 EST 2004

    Tony> How 2.3-specific is csv.py?

    Skip> Not terribly, I don't think, though I've never tried building it
    Skip> under 2.2.  (Are you thinking we could deliver it with Spambayes
    Skip> for people running 2.2?

Alas, I forgot that the csv module comes in two pieces, Lib/csv.py and
Modules/_csv.c.  The C chunk pretty much means it would be impractical to
deliver with Spambayes as we can't assume most folks will have a C compiler
handy.  FWIW, _csv.c taken from Python CVS seems to still compile under
2.2.3.  (2.2 compatibility was a goal when we created the module.)

    Tony> Could there be a compatCsv.py file added, like compatSets?

    Skip> Probably wouldn't be too hard to generate the subset we need.

I'll try to take a look at this option tomorrow.

Skip