[spambayes-dev] Experimental SpamBayes build available

Tony Meyer tameyer at ihug.co.nz
Sun Jan 4 19:11:40 EST 2004

[Skip]
> Thanks for the new installer.  I tried it out on my
> little-used Win2k machine.  While it seemed to install fine,
> the tray icon does nothing but briefly change the pointer
> to an hourglass.  I double-clicked the sb_server.exe icon
> and it popped up a window then immediately went away.
[...]
> Here's the SpamBayesServer1.log file (all four I found were
> identical):
>
>     Traceback (most recent call last):
>       File "pop3proxy_tray.py", line 100, in ?
>       File "sb_server.pyc", line 100, in ?
>       File "spambayes\message.pyc", line 201, in ?
>       File "spambayes\message.pyc", line 136, in __init__
>       File "spambayes\message.pyc", line 148, in load
>       File "pickle.pyc", line 1390, in load
>       File "pickle.pyc", line 872, in load
>     KeyError: '\x00'

The most common place I've seen this is when you try to open a bsddb db file
with pickle.load().  Did you have a spambayes install already on the
machine?  (It seems like it picked up an existing messageinfo db, which was
bsddb, but your configuration file is set to use a pickle).

One of the old WHAT_IS_NEW files has stuff about this (1.0a7?).  What should
happen when the user changes from bsddb to a pickle (or vice versa)?  It
seems that any existing database should be converted - I guess that would
mean adding in a check somewhere before the db's are opened that verifies
that they are the correct type, and, if not, does the conversion.  Seems
like a lot of bother though :)

If you move aside the message info it's finding does it work?

=Tony Meyer