[spambayes-dev] Re: Problem with 1.0a9 Windows installer?

Mark Hammond mhammond at keypoint.com.au
Fri Feb 27 00:20:11 EST 2004

Nice analysis Kenny.  Just to clarify:

> The hackery is a result of an apparent problem with the Inno installer
> during uninstall.  When Inno tried to unregister the COM DLL using the
> usual LoadLibrary/DllUnregisterServer method, it apparently didn't
> release the DLL properly and then failed to delete some of the files.

To be fair to Inno, it is more Python's fault.  The problem is more that
doing a LoadLibrary(), executing Python code, then doing a FreeLibrary()
doesn't release every DLL.

The inno guy mailed me back suggesting later versions may spawn a separate
process for this unregistration to get around this and similar issues.

Given that hackery, I think it fair to say the error is in the hackery,
rather than in py2exe, and that py2exe is fine the way it is.

Mark.