[spambayes-dev] Thought on mass hosting spambayes....

Tony Meyer tameyer at ihug.co.nz
Wed Aug 4 10:46:45 CEST 2004

> There wound/t be much trouble in setting up separate
> sb databases per email account using existing methods
> already found in sb code, such as the mysql/sql option.

Note that while easy, this will take a chunk of space.

> Most email client support some form of 'forward as redirect',

Some don't do this well, but yes most do.  I did some testing of this a
while back - the results are in smtpproxy.py in the source archive (in
comments at the top of the file).

I found that the best system was to get the forwarded message to include an
id (originally in the headers is best) and then use that id to look up the
message in a (reasonably short-lived) cache.  That way whatever mucking
about with the message the mailer does, it still gets correctly trained.
YMMV.

> in which the message is sent again with a new envlope.
> The brainstorming here has gone down the road of some
> type of email account that does training, i.e. a
> ham at isp.com and a spam at isp.com.

This is the way that the SpamBayes SMTP proxy works, except that it runs
locally (by default only accepting local connections) so there isn't any
authentication worry.  You could probably use it as a basis for this
solution (i.e. put it between the user and the SMTP server on the ISP's
machine).  You'd need to catch the AUTH command to do the authentication,
but that shouldn't be tricky.

=Tony Meyer