[spambayes-dev] Generating SB tokens based upon information on the net

Skip Montanaro skip at pobox.com
Tue Aug 3 23:49:06 CEST 2004

(adding the spambayes-dev mailing list to the cc

    Brad> If nothing else, then *PLEASE* configure SpamBayes to do these
    Brad> same sorts of things internally, so that we can then score on
    Brad> these issues, as opposed to rejecting the messages outright.

One of the downfalls of many systems that operate deep into the email
toolchain is that they try to do lookups on the net of some sort.  With
Spambayes we have tried to not go down that path and only use information in
the message itself.  Many's the time I had to stop SpamAssassin because its
razor lookups hung.  You never know when the network is going to flake out
on you.  If your training indicates that "no reverse DNS" is a strongly
spammy clue, I think you should make darn sure you can check that when you
are scoring messages.

    Brad> I don't think you realize the potential scale of problem that this
    Brad> could cause for us.

Certainly no worse than having our process table fill up smtpd_proxy
processes awaiting a DNS response that ain't gonna happen.

Skip