[spambayes-dev] SpamBayes server compliant w/ spamassassin

Toby Dickenson tdickenson at geminidataloggers.com
Mon Apr 26 03:27:32 EDT 2004

On Sunday 25 April 2004 20:23, Jkx at Pythonfr wrote:
> On Sunday 25 April 2004 19:21, Toby Dickenson wrote:
> > On Sunday 25 April 2004 13:50, Jkx at Pythonfr wrote:

> - And you can easily imagine to run this as another user, and tweak
>   the self.dbname according to your needs..  (for example put all
>   the db in a unique folder .. which only one account can access.
>   this is a common way to do stuff for large system)

That makes sense.

> > Yes, using python for sb_bnfilter is a short-term measure. Its a
> > prototype. C version is in progress
>
> Please look at spamc code

Thanks for the tip.

(Im sure it wont be usable as-is; the auto-forking in sb_bnfilter is useful on
small systems where you dont want to run any daemon most of the time.)

> I really think that allowing users (in a large system) to spwan process
> is a bad idea. not for a workstation of course but of a filtering server
> with 1000 mail accounts. My approach is exactly the same as used by things
> like virus scanner .. Do you think hosting company will allow people to
> install there own virus scrambler on there account ? They don't .. why :
> Just because this will be to painfull to administer and spawn a bunch of
> process for nothing. My approach is the same.

So then you have 1000 different spambayes databases? My .hammiedb is 20M, so
your big mail server needs 20G of storage for spam databases. This is sure to
affect delivery performance since there is no way to cache all of that.

> and i think i
> can do that w/ sb_bn* but the sb_bn* doesn't support the 'user' setting.

You can specify database filename and socket names on the sb_bnfilter command
line. It doesnt support 'users' directly, but it provides all you need to
layer a 'users' system on top.

--
Toby Dickenson