[spambayes-dev] Test windows binaries available

Richie Hindle richie at entrian.com
Wed Sep 17 06:04:53 EDT 2003

Mark,

I've tried the binaries with mixed results.  8-)

I don't have time to debug any of these problems myself (sorry!), so
here's a report of what happened:

Running pop3proxy_service.exe, I get a box popping up:

The procedure entry point
?PyWinObject_FromSECURITY_DESCRIPTOR@@YAPAU_object@@PAX at Z could not be
located in the dynamic link library PyWinTypes23.dll.

This is followed by a Python exception from pop3proxy_service.pyc line 24:

  ImportError: DLL load failed: The specified procedure could not be
  found.

I think this is because it's picking up PyWinTypes23.dll from
c:\windows\system32 rather than the lib directory.  Copying
pop3proxy_service.exe to the lib directory and running it from there fixed
the problem (in that I get "Service 'pop3proxy' (SpamBayes Service)
installed" when I do -install)

Running "pop3proxy_service.exe -help" displays the help but then says:

  Connecting to the service control manager....
  Could not start the service - error 997

"net start pop3proxy" gives:

  The SpamBayes Service service is starting.
  The SpamBayes Service service could not be started.

  The service did not report an error.

  More help is available by typing NET HELPMSG 3534.

and the event log contains:

  The description for Event ID ( 3 ) in Source ( pop3proxy_service )
  cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry
  information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote
  computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this
  description; see Help and Support for details. The following information
  is part of the event:   File "win32serviceutil.pyc", line 663, in SvcRun
  File "pop3proxy_service.pyc", line 118, in SvcDoRun,
  exceptions.AttributeError, 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'encode'.

I gave up on the service at that point and ran sb_server.exe.  I edited my
configuration on the Configuration page, but the Save button gives me a
500:

  File "spambayes\ProxyUI.pyc", line 514, in reReadOptions
  ImportError: No module named Options

The options were saved before that exception fired (ie. my
bayescustomize.ini has the correct [pop3proxy] entries), so I shut down
(via "Save and Shutdown" and restarted.

The proxy now isn't picking up my ini file settings.  The home page
reports "No POP3 proxies running." and the config file doesn't have any
"Remote Servers" or "SpamBayes Ports".  It does say "Your options are
stored in C:\Documents and Settings\rjh\Application
Data\SpamBayes\Proxy\bayescustomize.ini." which contains the correct
[pop3proxy] entries - bizarre.

Restarting with my POP3 server specified on the command line ("sb_server
mail") looks good at first:

but the home page says "POP3 proxy running on , proxying to ."  However,
the proxy is running, and classifies messages fine.  Training through the
web works, but seems very slow and only uses 1% or 2% CPU when training on
an mbox file (that could be normal - I've never looked at the load before
- but it seems odd).

Although my ini file is at C:\Documents and Settings\rjh\Application
Data\SpamBayes\Proxy\bayescustomize.ini, the database is at
C:\src\tests\spambayes_binaries\lib\hammie.db (presumably it's in lib
rather than proxy because that's where I copied the exe file).  The
pop3proxy cache directories and spambayes.messageinfo.db are in lib as
well.

pop3proxy_tray.exe doesn't want to talk to my sb_server.exe at all.  The
commands that launch web pages work OK, but neither "Stop SpamBayes" nor
"Exit SpamBayes" stops sb_server.exe.  "Stop SpamBayes" does turn the icon
red though.  8-)

The tray command "Check for latest version" says "Error checking the
latest version."  SpamBayesServer1.log contains this:

  Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "pop3proxy_tray.py", line 436, in CheckVersion
    File "spambayes\Version.pyc", line 108, in get_version_string
  KeyError: 'Full Description Binary'

Sorry I can't do more to help track these problems down...

--
Richie Hindle
richie at entrian.com