[spambayes-dev] Names & 1.0a6 release

papaDoc papaDoc at videotron.ca
Wed Sep 10 17:54:00 EDT 2003

Richie Hindle wrote:

>[Remi]
>

>>What can be done under unix (Linux) is to have everything in
>>/usr/local/spambayes and then soft link in /usr/local/bin for all the
>>executables.
>>

>Sure, but that still means the names have to live alongside everything
>else on your path.

Yes,  but the path variable will stay the same length if  /usr/local/bin
is already in your path.

The "beauty of this" is: if spambayes executable (pop3proxy.py
hammie.py) are changed to have
unique name then their name will be less obvious since we cannot take
any name. If you take a quick look at the directory /usr/local/bin
sb_server.py won't tell me much about what it is. If I have a soft link
I will know it is part of  spambayes.

cd /usr/local/bin;
ls
 > sb_server.py
 >  a_progam
 > a_second_program
ls -l
 > sb_server.py -> /usr/local/spambayes/sb_server.py
 > a_program
 > a_second_program

Sure you can do: sb_server.py -h to know what the program is doing.

>The choice is to either use globally unique names and
>put them on the PATH, or use whatever names we like and keep them off the
>PATH.

So I prefer to have spambayes in its own directory if needed we can have
soft link in /usr/local/bin ;-)

>Whether the things on your PATH are the executables or links to
>them makes no difference.

It makes some differences, easier to know where this program is coming from.
Easier to remove.

Remi