[spambayes-dev] Re: [Spambayes-checkins] website faq.txt, 1.39, 1.40

Kenny Pitt kennypitt at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 5 11:41:59 EDT 2003

Skip Montanaro wrote:
>     Tony> Add a FAQ about the 'access denied' problem that a lot of
>     Tony> pop3proxy people seem to run into.  We might want to special
case
>     Tony> this error and tell them what to do instead, or maybe even just
>     Tony> automatically try a range of different ports.
>
> How about starting at 8880 and incrementing the port number until a
> free one is found, then displaying that port?  The only situation
> where you'd die with an error is if the user specified an explicit
> port which was in use.

Only potential problem I see is that changing the port number dynamically
instead of under user control will make it difficult for the user to create
a Favorites shortcut to access the user interface.  For the tray app, this
problem could probably be solved by having the proxy share the port number
used in some way that is accessible to the tray app.

--
Kenny Pitt