[spambayes-dev] Another trick?

Skip Montanaro skip at pobox.com
Mon Oct 27 12:21:23 EST 2003

(originally sent 11 Oct, but it bounced, then sat...)

Got a message (attached including debug evidence) today which scored 0.15
for me.  It consistend of a multipart MIME message (text/plain followed by
text/html).  The text/plain stuff was innocuous.  The text/html part had a
small amount of text and a doubly-encoded URL.  It started out like:

    http://uh%65rn%61ndez%38@butin%66a%63t.co%6D/%63/i%72%6F%6E.%68t%6Dl?roundup=3D5-KgE

After replacing the numeric entities I got:

    http://uh%65rn%61ndez%38@butin%66a%63t.co%6D/%63/i%72%6F%6E.%68t%6Dl?roundup=3D5-KgE

After replacing the HTML encoded characters, I was left with:

    http://uhernandez8@butinfact.com/c/iron.html?roundup=3D5-KgE

As you might imagine, this did a fairly good job of obscuring clues in the
URL.  It might make sense to do a reasonable amount of decoding of HTML
before splitting into tokens.

Skip