[spambayes-dev] RE: [Spambayes] Toolbar

Meyer, Tony T.A.Meyer at massey.ac.nz
Wed Oct 1 19:49:22 EDT 2003

> Tony's response seems to always be the first thing asked to
> elucidate more input from users who submit questions.  Maybe
> the various GUI tools should have a "Report Bug" button which
> prompts the user for their input and composes a message which
> includes the version number and log files (or at least gives
> the user checkboxes to include them, with the default being
> checked).

The Outlook plug-in has told people to do this via the trouble-shooting
guide for a long time, although not that many people seem to follow the
instructions.  (Ironically, a lot of people say "I have tried all the
steps in the troubleshooting guide", and then fail to include a log,
which the troubleshooting guide says to do...).

The latest version of the plug-in does at least make it easier to find
the log file.  I think I remember seeing code that would put the whole
bug report message together in the Outlook sandbox directory, too, but
it's not exposed yet.  (I guess Mark is planning on adding it at some
point).

> When complete, either the message would be sent or
> the full text displayed asking the user to use that as the
> text of their message.

It's probably a good idea to add this to the web interface, too.  It
shouldn't be all that difficult since we already (probably) have the
user's smtp details and can just use smtplib.  I'll knock something up
for everyone to take a look at later on today.  (Now that we will be
able to send mail, we are one step closer to that full pop3 mail client,
too <wink/sigh>).

=Tony Meyer