[spambayes-dev] improving dumbdbm's survival chances...

Tim Peters tim.one at comcast.net
Mon Jul 14 23:40:18 EDT 2003

[Tim]
>> Note that *ever* using dumbdbm for the spambayes database remains a
>> monumentally bad idea, though.

[Tony]
> So, to be clear,

Does "a monumentally bad idea" sound fuzzy <wink>?

> we still might as well print a warning for those people using it,
> encouraging them to either use a pickle or other dbm?  Should we still
> follow through with refusing to use it in the release after next?

dumdbdm shouldn't be used at all for a spambayes wordinfo database, but I
can't suggest details about how to get there from here (I've only ever used
a dict).  Since this is still alpha software, fine by me if retraining from
scratch is required for people who use dumbdbm now.  The chance that
existing dumbdbm .dat and .dir files are out of synch with each other seems
so high that I don't think it would even be doing people a favor to suggest
*converting* to another format -- better to cut their losses and start over.