[spambayes-dev] db_* binaries for Windows, DB_RECOVER

Jeremy Hylton jeremy at alum.mit.edu
Thu Aug 28 23:48:24 EDT 2003

On Wed, 2003-08-27 at 17:49, Richie Hindle wrote:
> Tim, or anyone who knows - is ZODB (without ZEO, which as I understand it
> is essentially what Skip suggests below) shareable across
> threads/processes?

Yes, both.  All storages can be shared by multiple threads in a single
process.  To share a storage among multiple processes, you must use ZEO.
Skip's suggestion below is a big vague, so I'm not sure why (or why not)
you would think that's what ZEO is.

If you want to share a database across processes and/or machines, you've
got to have some kind of IPC.  ZEO uses sockets to share access to a
single storage.

It is indeed hard to run a ZEO server that it is to run a single
database.  You've got to worry about whether the server process is
running in addition to the client process.  You've got two applications
to configure.  There are more performance issues to think about.

On the other hand, ZEO is widely used in the Zope community.  A lot of
the issues have been worked out.

Jeremy