[spambayes-dev] RE: SpamBayes Readme

Meyer, Tony T.A.Meyer at massey.ac.nz
Wed Aug 20 14:28:05 EDT 2003

> That's a huge improvement for new users over the existing
> readme!

It really is only a reordering of INTEGRATION.TXT for the most part.
(The IMAP stuff being an exception, which is my fault anyway).

> I'm a little bemused by your having
> "everyone else" before "procmail filtering" though :)

That's an area that needs improvement.  The thing is that the "everyone
else" section applies to procmail (and vi/emacs later on) users.  I'm
not sure where the information can really go, without duplicating it in
each section.  I'll integrate Peter's procmail steps and see if that
helps.

> No mention of setup.py ... is it supposed to be used at all?

Opps.  I don't use it, so forgot about it.  Yes, there should be an
"installation" action before anything else, although it's not strictly
necessary.

> If it is, I suggest that the scripts be renamed to make them a
> little more SB-specific (eg. "sb-pop3proxy"), as on my system
> it installs them all to /usr/bin (as I used /usr/bin/python2.3
> to install them).

This was suggested and debated not all that long ago on the -dev list.
IIRC, there was enough agreement that this probably will
happen...possibly by the next release (better sooner than later, I
suppose).  It's an annoying task, though, because you have to go through
*everything* and make sure that you've corrected all the names...

> Running pop3proxy.py, the first problem is that the
> webbrowser module is broken for me...
[...]
> [might be useful for your later reference if the problem pops up]

Thanks.

> After I fixed that, the web interface came up nicely. I then
> tried to set up a proxy for my main email account. I stupidly
> put in "110" as the port number (having not read the instructions
> fully, I thought I a was entering the port number for the target
> pop server, not the local port), and promptly got an error and
> a whole slew of output to the console pop3proxy was running in
> consisting of a constant stream of:
>
> warning: unhandled read event
> warning: unhandled write event
>
> Ehem. So, I need to choose a port number above 1024 there :)

This isn't a restriction for everyone, of course.  Windows users are
able to use 110 as the port without needing to be logged in as
administrator or anything.  There should be a note about this, though.
It could probably handle the error more nicely, too.

BTW, there was a suggestion a while back (from Skip) that we adopt the
format that ssh uses for port forwarding: "remote host:remote port:local
port".  For example: "pop.example.com:110:110".  Do you think this would
be any clearer?

> The IMAP box is already spam-filtered (poorly) by Mail.app.

I haven't heard much about how well Mail.app filters.  Is it really that
bad?

=Tony Meyer