[Shtoom] Check this out LASIK Surgery Checklist, Jerry Katzman MD

paul.kholer paul.kholer paul.kholer at gmail.com
Thu Feb 7 11:08:16 CET 2008

Q: Can you refer me to a good LASIK surgeon in my area?
A: Refer to the Other Resources section of this site. You may want to
contact the organizations listed there for additional information.
While FDA regulates medical devices and drugs, FDA does not regulate
the practice of medicine and does not have a registry of doctors. FDA
does not know of any government agency that can provide a referral for
any medical procedure. You may want to go to your library and see if
there is a local community services magazine that may provide
comparison information of services for doctors in your area.
Q: How do I report a bad experience or who do I notify about a 'bad' doctor?
A: If you had a bad experience or sustained an injury, you should file
a voluntary MedWatch report (1-800-FDA-1088) to the FDA. Also, you
could contact your state medical licensing board and file a complaint
with them. In addition, you could contact your state health department
or consumer complaint organization (e.g., Better Business Bureau).

Q: How much does LASIK cost?
A: The FDA regulates the safety and effectiveness of medical devices
for their intended use. The FDA does not regulate the marketing of or
any fees associated with the use of that product. Again, you may want
to go to your library and see if there is a local community services
magazine that may provide comparison information of services for
doctors in your area.
Q: How can I find out if a particular laser has been approved to treat
my refractive error (nearsightedness, farsightedness and/or
astigmastism)?