[Shtoom] audio corruption and twisted required versions

Anthony Baxter anthony at interlink.com.au
Sun May 22 16:32:05 CEST 2005

On Sunday 22 May 2005 22:09, Dafydd Harries wrote:
> Sadly, neither Ubuntu nor Debian has Twisted 2.0 yet. I've been speaking
> with the maintainer about including 2.0 in Ubuntu's Breezy development
> branch, which would make it available for the next release in October.
> Hoary users would have to stick with snapshots of SVN made before the
> 2.0 requirement.

This is a problem, yes. The approach I've taken on my boxes is to install
twisted 2.0 to a different location and then added it to the PYTHONPATH.
Particularly with dash's new SIP code landing soon (well, that's the plan,
anyway), older versions of shtoom will rapidly become extremely unsupported.

Note, though, that I'm not planning to make changes to stop shtoom working
with 1.3, just that I'm planning to recommend it. I've changed the setup.py
to now bitch if < 2.0 is installed, but this can be easily subverted by
commenting out that check to cut a release that's based on 1.3.

> It's good news that this problem has a fix, though.

I _think_ it's a fix. I was able to get the problem to happen with 1.3, but in
the process of trying to diagnose it further kept tripping over other 1.3
related issues that seemed to be because of 1.3's gtk2reactor being buggy.
I've been unable to get it to happen again under 2.0, even with the register
refresh turned down to 20s.

Anthony