[Security-sig] PEP 551: Security transparency in the Python runtime

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Thu Aug 24 14:46:55 EDT 2017

On Aug 24, 2017, at 14:16, Nathaniel Smith <njs at pobox.com> wrote:

> - the name "spython" makes me nervous, because I feel like as soon as discussion switches from specifics like "transparency through event logging" to vague abstractions like "secure", then it becomes much more difficult to have useful discussions. Like, we're inevitably going to have people trying to use 'spython' to replace their normal python 'because it's more secure' and stuff like that. Would it make sense to call it something else, like 'tpython' (for 'transparent'), or 'stdemo-python' (to emphasize that it's more intended as an example and starting point rather than a useful product)?

It makes me a little uncomfortable too because there has been several discussions over the years amongst Linux distros about an `spython` meaning “system Python”.  Essentially that would be an entry point that you couldn’t install stuff into, and thus couldn’t accidentally break your distro (for those Linux distros that have vital functionality implemented in Python).

We could certainly bikeshed on this, but ultimately I think we’ll want to make the actual entry point name emitted from the build process to be configurable.

-Barry