[SciPy-User] Main Site Design Questions

Thomas Kluyver takowl at gmail.com
Mon May 20 06:00:45 EDT 2019

On Mon, 20 May 2019 at 10:21, Juan Nunez-Iglesias <jni.soma at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On this I agree strongly: scipy.org should be about the scipy library,
> scipy.org/community (or similar) about the broader ecosystem. That
> matches the rest of the ecosystem (dask.org, scikit-image.org, numpy.org,
> matplotlib.org...). Anything else is confusing.

The confusion comes because the name SciPy is used for a much broader
meaning, including conferences with SciPy in the name. None of the other
names have this kind of broad use. I think the landing page probably needs
to accommodate that somehow.

The current homepage is like it is because we pushed a few years ago to
present a more unified front to the scientific Python world. This was
before Anaconda took off, and Enthought's free offering at the time didn't
even include pandas, so pushing the notion of a 'Scipy stack' of key
packages seemed more important than it does today. My impression is that
usage of 'SciPy' to refer to the ecosystem is on the decline as 'data' is
more trendy. But I think you'll still have to deal with a significant
fraction of people looking for 'SciPy' who are interested in the
conferences or the ecosystem, not necessarily in the SciPy package itself.