[SciPy-User] ANN: SciPy 1.0 beta release

Joe Harrington jh at physics.ucf.edu
Sun Sep 17 09:16:27 EDT 2017

On Sun, 17 Sep 2017 22:48:35 +1200 Ralf Gommers <ralf.gommers at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm excited to be able to announce the availability of the first beta
> release of Scipy 1.0.

[I won't quote the entire release notes!]

Awesome news, looooong in the making!

The number of deprecations and removals is understandably large.
I think we need a centralized resource for navigating deprecations,
removals, and changes.  It could be a simple web page, or a more
involved database.  It should list the change, give or link to the
rationale, and state the date and package version number.  Most
importantly, it should give the suggested replacement(s).

Googling "scipy deprecation" found only this page, plus a bunch of
release notes and discussions.  The page was last updated on Jan 16,
2017, and is limited to C-API deprecations:

https://docs.scipy.org/doc/numpy-dev/reference/c-api.deprecations.html

Even once such a document/page/searchable database exists, many will be
unaware of it, or not know where to find it, so referring to it at the
top of any list of deprecations/removals would be good.

Once it exists, deprecations could be entered before being implemented,
and deprecation warnings could refer to an index number in this
resource, where the user could go for more information on how to fix the
issue.

Thanks,

--jh--