[SciPy-User] Install Scipy with Anaconda's MKL libraries

David Hagen david at drhagen.com
Tue May 9 06:44:57 EDT 2017

> The difference here is that CPython requirements for MSVC compilers from
Visual Studio are not the same as ifort requirements for Visual Studio.

I currently have Python 3.6.1. I have both Visual Studio C++ 14.0 (I think
this is the same thing as VS2015) and Visual Studio 2017 installed. I have
Parallel Studio XE 2018 Beta installed. I am not sure if that is all
compatible because 2018 Beta isn't on there. Should I uninstall VS 2017?

> VS 2017 is supported by setuptools 34.4.0+

Should I upgrade from 27.2.0, which for whatever reason is the version that
conda installs with Python 3.6.1?

> Anyway I followed Intel article about scipy and ifort using VS 2015 with
C++ compiler installed.

I am able to run plain python setup.py install on the latest version of
Numpy and it installs fine. (Doing the same with Scipy errors out with
missing symbols described previously.) However, running the install command
given for Intel64 in the link it fails. I followed everything except for
recompile Python. It gets to here:

running config
running build_clib
running build_src
build_src
building py_modules sources
building library "npymath" sources
Could not locate executable icc
Could not locate executable ecc

And then throws a NoneType is not iterable exception:

File "c:\numpy-1.12.1\numpy\distutils\msvc9compiler.py", line 53, in
initialize
  os.environ['lib'] = _merge(environ_lib, os.environ['lib'])
File "c:\numpy-1.12.1\numpy\distutils\msvc9compiler.py", line 32, in _merge
  if new in old:
TypeError: argument of type 'NoneType' is not iterable

This happen both with and without modifying the compile options. It looks
like it can't find icc, but without a real error, it is difficult to tell
if that was a notify, warning, or error.

It installs with just python setup.py install. But if I do that is that the
reason I get symbol errors trying to install Scipy? Is it just managing to
muddle through with one of my other compilers but not be linkable by Scipy?
I have Intel C++ Compiler installed as part of the Parallel Studio install.