[SciPy-User] Installing NumPy/SciPy on Windows without the use of Pip

Matthew Brett matthew.brett at gmail.com
Wed Sep 7 17:38:28 EDT 2016

Hi,

On Wed, Sep 7, 2016 at 1:57 PM, Whalen, Joel C <joel.c.whalen at intel.com> wrote:
> Thank you so much! Unfortunately, pip is telling me that the .whl is not a supported wheel on this platform. I'm on 64 bit, and this is true even after I use the amd64.whl. Same error.
>
> Also deleting that directory in my site-packages folder was a huge pain because Windows didn't even let Administrator approval remove it. I had to rd /s /q to get rid of it.
>
> All in all, windows really doesn't want me to install numpy apparently.

You're nearly there!   First - upgrade pip to the latest version:

python -m pip install --upgrade pip

Then try installing the `*amd64.whl` - if your *Python* is 64-bit.
Remember that your Python may be 32-bit even though your Windows is 64
bit.  Test which, with:

python -c "import platform; print(platform.architecture())"

Cheers,

Matthew