[SciPy-User] Scientific citation numpy.random.multinomial

Stephan Hoyer shoyer at gmail.com
Mon Mar 21 17:12:25 EDT 2016

Hi Johannes,

If you delve into NumPy's source code, you'll discover that it uses the
Box-Muller transform:
https://github.com/numpy/numpy/blob/v1.10.4/numpy/random/mtrand/randomkit.c#L377

Apparently this is known as the "Marsaglia polar method":
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marsaglia_polar_method

Cheers,
Stephan