[SciPy-User] Playing numpy array over speakers

Todd toddrjen at gmail.com
Tue Mar 24 17:15:42 EDT 2015

On Mar 24, 2015 9:51 PM, "Kiko" <kikocorreoso at gmail.com> wrote:

>> Is anyone aware of a well-maintained, simple, cross-platform python
package that can play a numpy array as sound over speakers?

>> I am aware of https://wiki.python.org/moin/Audio/.  However, in all the
cases there, as far as I can find they either do not support numpy arrays,
are not cross-platform, cannot playback sound at all, or are unmaintained.
There is also PySoundCard, which would do what I need but also appears to
be unmaintained (no release in over a year, and no commits in 5 months, no
release with serious bugfixes mentioned in commits).

> Could this be useful for your use case?
http://nbviewer.ipython.org/github/ipython/ipython/blob/2.x/examples/Interactive%20Widgets/Beat%20Frequencies.ipynb

Sorry, I should have been more specific.  I am really looking for a way to
play audio as part of a script.  Your link would certainly work for playing
back sound in an interactive manner in a notebook. However, it is not
really useful as part general-purpose script or function,  or when control
of the playback is needed. Thank you, though, that is certainly very useful
in many situations.