[SciPy-User] Is it good practice to use IPython notebooks as your Python IDE?

Brian Merchant bhmerchant at gmail.com
Sat Mar 21 11:47:22 EDT 2015

Hi all,

Thank you for the wonderful discussion. I especially enjoyed learning about
IEP (which I had not heard of), and PyCharm (which I had simply disregarded
in the past)!

Ghis: I don't find much wrong with Spyder, apart from occasional stability
issues which are quickly fixed with a restart of the program, and thus are
hardly a hassle.

In the end, I have decided to use PyCharm (which I can get an academic
license for!) *primarily* because it has nice built-in VCS integration --
just a convenience really, than an absolutely killer function, but one that
is valuable to me.

I wanted to write code in a literate, and organized fashion. I thought
IPython notebooks might be a good idea, but as mentioned by others, there
are some issues with it. However, I think using a VCS to track and comment
on changes made to code is just as good! PyCharm has excellent integration
with git, including nice visual views of branches, merges etc.

*PyCharm also has integrated IPython notebook compatibility now*, so if I
occasionally want to write a couple of tests in a more literate fashion, I
can do so. Then of course, there are all the other IDE features that
PyCharm has covered in a more stable/polished fashion than Spyder. Spyder
doesn't have refactoring functionality (as far as I know?), so PyCharm is
quite nice there particularly.

Brian