[SciPy-User] Is it good practice to use IPython notebooks as your Python IDE?

josef.pktd at gmail.com josef.pktd at gmail.com
Sat Mar 14 19:17:56 EDT 2015

On Sat, Mar 14, 2015 at 7:08 PM, Matthew Brett <matthew.brett at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Sat, Mar 14, 2015 at 4:01 PM, Brian Merchant <bhmerchant at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > So far, I know that IPython might have some trouble with integrating in
> > matplotlib animations, but that too is possible with a little research.
> > Otherwise, I should be able to do everything else quite easily, including
> > debugging, according to the IPython documentation. In fact, writing
> parallel
> > code in IPython might be a very nice idea given how it seems to offer a
> lot
> > of functionality in that direction.
>
> I use the notebook a lot, but I don't use it as an IDE.
>
> My usual workflow is to write code with my text editor, test at the
> terminal and explore code at the IPython terminal.
>
> When I want to demo or teach what I have done, then I usually make a
> notebook.
>
> I find that writing substantial code in the notebook quickly makes me
> lose focus on what I am trying to do.  It's partly that the notebook
> is really not good enough as a code editor for serious coding work.
> It is also the state in the notebook that makes it very easy to write
> code that assumes variables that have since been deleted or renamed.
>
> Also - if I want to write a reasonably long document of any type, I
> really need my familiar text editor so that I am not distracted by the
> process of editing, as I often am in the notebook.
>
> So - I think the notebook is really ideal for demos, short and
> informal explorations, and as a teaching tool, but I would personally
> find it very distracting as an IDE.

That's also pretty much my experience and usage.

I got used to notebooks to try out and work on finished examples, and to
try out code in PRs.

However, whenever I get into debugging code or developing new code, then I
quickly get annoyed by missing features and switch back to spyder.

I currently have IDLE, spyder, eclipse/pydev and several notebooks open,
plus a shell window for nosetests, and of course one for git.
All for different purposes and use cases, but all related to statsmodels
code development and review.
("Dis"iDE)

Jpsef