[SciPy-User] Scientific Python Survey

Oleksandr Huziy guziy.sasha at gmail.com
Mon Mar 2 11:41:35 EST 2015

Hi Jason:

I was curious if it is possible to use pip with conda ?
Myself I am able to install anything with pip or setup.py and never use
conda, but for others condo could be a good alternative. But if the  people
to whom I could recommend conda would need something beyond, will they be
able to use pip to install something else?

Thanks

> These days with conda, it is so easy to have numerous versions of all
> these packages. For example, I have conda environments for different
> projects and have a range of numpy versions used in each, from 1.6.1 to
> 1.9.1.
>
> What version would you expect us to enter if we use lots of versions in
> production scenarios?
>

> Jason
> moorepants.info
> +01 530-601-9791
>
> On Mon, Mar 2, 2015 at 7:23 AM, Thomas Robitaille <
> thomas.robitaille at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> If you use scientific Python packages for your research/work, I would
>> appreciate if you could take a few minutes to fill out the following
>> survey:
>>
>>   http://goo.gl/PXzFAk
>>
>> The aim of this survey is to find out what versions of Python and
>> various scientific Python packages people are using, and how people
>> typically install packages, in order to determine how developers can
>> better meet the needs of the Scientific Python community (for example,
>> a common question is which version of Numpy need to be supported by
>> packages).
>>
>> This is a follow-up to a similar survey which I did back in 2012 and
>> which provided very interesting results that you can read about here:
>>

>> http://astrofrog.github.io/blog/2013/01/13/what-python-installations-are-scientists-using
>>
>> Please feel free to forward this survey to people in your own
>> scientific Python communities!
>>
>> I will publish the results online in a few weeks.
>>
>> Thanks!
>> Tom

Sasha