[SciPy-User] Installing scipy on MacOS X

Sturla Molden sturla.molden at gmail.com
Tue Jun 16 12:18:55 EDT 2015

"Slater Joseph C , PhD, PE" <joseph.slater at wright.edu> wrote:

> How do I determine this?

Good question. It usually is.

> Not sure what direction I should go. I can wipe macports. Not sure if I
> should try to remove the python.org version instead. What would you suggest?

I don't use Macports or Homebrew, nor the python.org version.

Right now I have Anaconda, I used to have Enthought Canopy. Get one of
those or build your own Python into a local folder.

>> Build and install Numpy against Accelerate.

> Not sure how to do this.
> The the Macports version, I've been using their "port install". For the
> python.org distribution, I'd been installing using pip, which does it's
> magic without intervention, as I understand.

You can "pip install numpy" if the wheel is built against Accelerate. Ask
Matthew Brett.

Otherwise see below:

> Pull the source from Github.
>> Use a stabile maintenance branch of numpy, not the master.
>>
>> $ python setup.py build_ext
>> $ python setup.py install

Sturla