[SciPy-User] Decimal dtype

Todd toddrjen at gmail.com
Tue Jul 28 09:31:43 EDT 2015

Traditional base-2 floating-point numbers have a lot of well-known issues.
The python standard library has a Decimal module that provides base-10
floating-point numbers, which avoid some (although not all) of these
issues.

Is there any possibility of numpy having one or more dtypes for base-10
floating-point numbers?

I understand fully if a lack of support from underlying libraries makes
this infeasible at the present time.  I haven't been able to find much good
information on the issue, which leads me to suspect the situation is
probably not good.