[SciPy-User] scipy.sparse.linalg.factorized

Christopher Mutel cmutel at gmail.com
Mon Feb 2 05:59:16 EST 2015

Hi David-

UMFPACK needs to be wrapped to work with scipy, and the wrapper was
removed because of incompatible licenses (SuiteSparse, of which
UMFPACK is a part, is GPL-licensed). The wrapper code was also
available as a scikit, which is now maintained by Robert Cimrman on
github: https://github.com/rc/scikit-umfpack

I have built scikit-umfpack as a wheel for OS X, but don't have enough
expertise to build it as a wheel for Windows. To install it on your
machine you will need to compile SuiteSparse, and then install
scikit-umfpack with a suitable config that shows where your UMFPACK
and other SuiteSparse libraries are.

It is possible that scikit-umfpack could use the library in cvxopt; I
don't know anything about this, but I guess it is not trivial.

If someone wanted to build scikit-umfpack as a wheel (which would
include the UMFPACK libraries, so no one else would have to figure out
how to compile them), that would be super awesome.

You can test if UMFPACK is being used by scipy with:

from scipy.sparse.linalg.dsolve.linsolve import useUmfpack

useUmfpack will be either True or False.

Yours,
-Chris

On 2 February 2015 at 09:19, David Kershaw <dskgair at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have the Python(x,y)-2.7.9.0.exe installation of python(x,y) running on
> windows-7 OS. I want to use scipy.sparse.linalg.factorized to solve linear
> systems using Umfpack. As far as I can tell, the python(x,y) installation
> does not include the necessary Umfpack code. How do I install Umfpack and
> how can I tell that I'm getting Umfpack and not superLU when I call
> factorized?  The Microsoft Visual C++ Compiler Package for Python 2.7 was
> installed when I ran Python(x,y)-2.7.9.0.exe.

Chris Mutel
Technology Assessment Group, LEA
Paul Scherrer Institut
OHSA D22