[SciPy-User] Normalization for optimization in python

Daπid davidmenhur at gmail.com
Sun Apr 26 07:37:38 EDT 2015

On 25 April 2015 at 08:02, cjaramillo <cjaramillo at gradcenter.cuny.edu>
wrote:

> I have a problem with my Jacobian matrices being non-homogeneous due to
> being derived from variables of different units, such as when combining
> rotation and translation parameters. Besides scaling the initial value by a
> factor, do you have an example of how to scale down the pertaining Jacobian
> matrices?

Scaling factors can be error prone when you have to propagate them.
Usually, the safest way is to blame it on the units. So, in your case, you
define the rotation angles in radians and the typical displacement to be 1
in your units (assuming the rotations are big, so around 1 rad).

This technique also works with any other mathematical problems, like
differential equations or linear systems.

/David.