[SciPy-User] Numerical Recipes and scipy

Peter Parente parente at gmail.com
Fri Oct 10 21:18:45 EDT 2014

I'm considering using SciPy in a commercial application. The SciPy code
makes reference to the Numerical Recipes book in various places (
https://github.com/scipy/scipy/search?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=numerical+recipes).
The NR license terms restrict the translation and distribution of
derivative works, especially for commercial purposes (
http://www.nr.com/licenses/redistribute.html). I polled the list to see if
anyone could answer if the references are purely for educational purposes
or provenance of the SciPy implementations.

On Fri, Oct 10, 2014 at 5:10 PM, John ZuHone <jzuhone at gmail.com> wrote:

> I for one am curious about the motivation behind the question.
>
> On Oct 10, 2014, at 5:01 PM, Peter Parente <parente at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> I have a question about SciPy and its relation to the code from Numerical
> Recipes (http://www.nr.com/licenses/redistribute.html)
>
> I can see that both the SciPy FAQ and code comments today both contain
> references to the book. I noticed that in 2008 there was a discussion about
> removing SciPy code derived from the book to avoid infringing on the NR
> license. (
> http://mail.scipy.org/pipermail/scipy-dev/2008-December/010446.html)
>
> I see that some code was identified and possibly replaced, but there is no
> distinct end to the activity. Does anyone have an understanding they can
> share about where SciPy stands today with respect to NR and its license
> terms?
>
> Thanks,
> Pete
>
> (I'm sorry if this is a dupe. I had a problem posting from my subscribed
> email address.)

Pete