[SciPy-User] problems building scipy on Yosemite.

Matthew Brett matthew.brett at gmail.com
Thu Nov 20 01:39:47 EST 2014

Hi,

On Wed, Nov 19, 2014 at 7:11 PM, Sturla Molden <sturla.molden at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 14/11/14 08:55, Matthew Brett wrote:
>
>> The cran fortran is the standard recommendation because it compiles
>> both 32 and 64 bit binaries, if given the correct -arch flags; I don't
>> think that's true with the official gfortran binary
>
> I just checked this, it actually builds both.
>
> If I pass -m32 or -arch i386 it creates a 32-bit binary.
>
> If I pass -m64 or -arch x86_64 it creates a 64-bit binary.
>
> The default is 64 bit.
>

> I really think we should start to recommend the gfortran wiki binaries:
>
> - It is easy to download and install (.dmg installer)
>
> - It is a recent gfortran (currently 4.9.0 and 4.8.2).
>
> - It is configured and built by the gfortran team.
>
> - It can build SciPy and the test suite passes.
>
> - It is configured to be compatible with Apple's Xcode command line
> utils (including clang and clang++).
>
> - It builds 32-bit and 64-bit binaries.
>
> https://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/GFortranBinaries

Sorry, the point I was trying to make is that the CRAN gfortran builds
fat binaries (containing both i386 and x86_64), matching the (dual
arch) Python.org and system Python architectures.  Of course you can
do that with the gcc gfortran, but only by doing a complicated two
pass compile (that was how I was building the ATLAS binaries),

Cheers,

Matthew