[SciPy-User] ANN: Spyder v2.3 is released!

Carlos Córdoba ccordoba12 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 20 18:48:45 EDT 2014

Hi all,

On the behalf of Spyder's development team
(http://code.google.com/p/spyderlib/people/list), I'm pleased to
announce that Spyder 2.3 has been released and is available for Windows
XP/Vista/7/8, GNU/Linux and MacOS X:
https://bitbucket.org/spyder-ide/spyderlib/downloads

This release represents 14 months of development since version 2.2 and
introduces major enhancements and new features:

    * Python 3 support (versions 3.2, 3.3 and 3.4 are supported)
    * Drop Python 2.5 support
    * Various Editor improvements:
      - Use the Tab key to do code completions
      - Highlight cells
      - First-class support for Enaml files
      - Syntax highlighting for Julia files
      - Use Shift+Tab to show calltips
      - Improve how calltips are shown
      - Do code completions using the tokens found in a file
    * Better looking Object Inspector
    * Several refinements to the user interface to make it easier and
more intuitive
    * And many other changes:
http://code.google.com/p/spyderlib/wiki/ChangeLog

Spyder 2.2 has been a huge success (being downloaded more than 400,000
times!) and we hope 2.3 will be as successful as it. For that we fixed
70 important bugs, merged 30 pull requests from 11 authors and added
almost 1000 commits between these two releases.

Spyder is a free, open-source (MIT license) interactive development
environment for the Python language with advanced editing, interactive
testing, debugging and introspection features. Originally designed to
provide MATLAB-like features (integrated help, interactive console,
variable explorer with GUI-based editors for dictionaries, NumPy arrays,
...), it is strongly oriented towards scientific computing and software
development. Thanks to the `spyderlib` library, Spyder also provides
powerful ready-to-use widgets: embedded Python console (example:
http://packages.python.org/guiqwt/_images/sift3.png), NumPy array editor
(example: http://packages.python.org/guiqwt/_images/sift2.png),
dictionary editor, source code editor, etc.

Description of key features with tasty screenshots can be found at:
http://code.google.com/p/spyderlib/wiki/Features

Don't forget to follow Spyder updates/news:
   * on the project website: http://code.google.com/p/spyderlib/
   * and on our official blog: http://spyder-ide.blogspot.com/

Last, but not least, we welcome any contribution that helps making
Spyder an efficient scientific development/computing environment. Join
us to help creating your favorite environment!
(http://code.google.com/p/spyderlib/wiki/NoteForContributors)

Enjoy!
-Carlos