[SciPy-User] [cython-users] scipy cblas return value

Radim Řehůřek me at radimrehurek.com
Tue Sep 24 07:21:53 EDT 2013

It's actually more serious than I though. This "double instead of float"
apparently fails on some systems while manifesting itself as a weird slow
down: https://groups.google.com/d/msg/gensim/6B99kdtHOZo/FSss6GgzE5IJ

We've confirmed with the person who reported it that the problem is only in
sdot. Changing the sdot return value to `float` fixes it.

SciPy version doesn't seem to affect this (tried both 0.12 and 0.13b on the
failing machine).

CC to Scipy people: the code is using a protected pointer from
scipy.linalg.blas.cblas, like so: https://gist.github.com/anonymous/6659007

Why is the required return value sometimes float and sometimes double? Is
there a better/safer way to achieve calling numpy/scipy BLAS from cython?

Cheers,
Radim