[SciPy-User] [SciPy-Dev] NumPy 1.8.0rc2 release

alex argriffi at ncsu.edu
Thu Oct 17 15:39:13 EDT 2013

On Thu, Oct 17, 2013 at 3:33 PM, Jack Howarth <howarth at bromo.med.uc.edu>
wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 14, 2013 at 03:37:22PM -0600, Charles R Harris wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > NumPy 1.8.0rc2 is up now on
> > sourceforge<http://sourceforge.net/projects/numpy/files/NumPy/1.8.0rc2/
>.
> > Binary builds are included, except for Python 3.3 on windows. Many
thanks
> > to Ralf for the binaries and to those who found and fixed the bugs in
rc1.
> > Please test this thoroughly, especially if you have access to one of the
> > less common platforms. Testing of rc1 turned up several bugs that would
> > have been a embarrassment if they had made their way into the release
and
> > we are very happy that they were discovered.
> >
> > Chuck
>
> Chuck,
>    I am seeing one puzzling bahavior with numpy-1.8.0. When starting
pymol r4045
> against numpy 1.8.0rc2 under python 2.6.8, I get the warning...
>
> /sw/lib/python2.6/site-packages/numpy/oldnumeric/__init__.py:11:
ModuleDeprecationWarning: The oldnumeric module will be dropped in Numpy 1.9
>   warnings.warn(_msg, ModuleDeprecationWarning)
>
> but this warning doesn't appear when pymol built against python 2.7.5
instead.
> Since....
>
> diff -u /sw/lib/python2.6/site-packages/numpy/oldnumeric/__init__.py
/sw/lib/python2.7/site-packages/numpy/oldnumeric/__init__.py

> shows no differences, I am rather puzzled why python2.6 emits the warning
and python2.7 doesn't.
> Is this a known issue?`

I think this is explained in
http://docs.python.org/dev/whatsnew/2.7.html#the-future-for-python-2-x
where it says "Two consequences of the long-term significance of 2.7 are:
[...] A policy decision was made to silence warnings only of interest to
developers. DeprecationWarning and its descendants are now ignored unless
otherwise requested, preventing users from seeing warnings triggered by an
application."

Alex