[SciPy-User] scipy.optimize.minimize constraint optimization

Kevin Kunzmann kevinkunzmann at gmx.net
Fri Nov 29 04:29:43 EST 2013

Hi,

I have a question concerning constraint optimization with scipy. After
setting up my problem using scipy.optimize.minimize and the SLSQP method
the procedure failed to converge and the final iteration was a bit
awkward. So I inspected the iteration steps closely and the problem
seems to be, that the bounds / constraints are not respected in every
step. This blows up some function evaluations, as they are only well
defined for the feasible set. Is there a way of doing general purpose,
nonlinear, constraint optimization, that respects the feasible set at
ALL times in scipy (or at least in python?). The Matlab implementations
of fmincon using sqp and trust-region-reflective do implement that
feature
http://www.mathworks.de/de/help/optim/ug/writing-constraints.html#br9p_ry but
i would rather stick with python if possible...
If that feature is available already in scipy an comment on that in the
help would be superb :)

thank you,

Kevin