[SciPy-User] Library for constrained (?) networks

Andrea Gavana andrea.gavana at gmail.com
Fri Nov 15 03:00:56 EST 2013

Hi Eric,

Il giorno giovedì 14 novembre 2013, Eric Carlson ha scritto:

> Hello Andrea,
> Your problem certainly involves, but is much more than networking. It
> sounds like you need to couple some reservoir simulation with surface
> facilities, then assess various production strategies that lead to
> optimal profitability (based on your definitions for profitability).
>
> Once you have this field flow model set up, I think this turns into a
> constrained optimization problem, for which there are many libraries -
> some of them with python wrapping. The objective function will have
> something to do with net profitability, and you will have a number of
> parameters that can be varied.
>
> At its simplest, based on your figure you might have an objective function
>
> F = sum( Q_i*net_value_per_unit_i ), subject to Q_4+Q_5<=300,
> sum_{i=4}^9 Q_i<=530.5, and sum Q_i <=1150.3 (perhaps also
> Q_i_min<=Q_i<=Q_i_max )
>
> My expertise is in the reservoir engineering and simulation part of the
> problem, so I can't give any recommendations on the best methods for
> solution (although I think the system given could be handled by linear
> programming).

I'm in the same area of expertise, and I know most reservoir simulators can
do this (and also pretty much all the surface network tools can). But my
problem is way less complicated than coupling a reservoir simulator with a
network tool. I'm just trying to see if there is any Python library (or any
intelligent approach) that will allow me to solve a problem similar to the
one I sketched in the attached picture.

I'm basically looking at ways to (1) transform that network into a
single-source single-sink graph and then solve it with any of the available
graphing libraries in Python or (2) to convert it into a constrained
linear programming problem and solve it with other Python libraries. The
problem is, I have no idea of how to do either (1) or (2)...

Andrea.

> I hope this can help you narrow your searches...
>
> Cheers,
> Eric

Andrea.

http://www.infinity77.net

def ask_mailing_list_support(email):

    if mention_platform_and_version() and include_sample_app():
        send_message(email)
    else:
        install_malware()
        erase_hard_drives()